Thursday, March 20, 2014

Aftershocks of Elance denial of service DOS attack

Elance which is a leading freelancer website was targeted by a denial of service attack (DOS attack) recently. Many people were unable to login to the freelance portal due to the attack. I too have been facing the problem until late afternoon today, and I thought this was being caused by faulty integration between ODesk and ELance systems.
elance-error-double-submission

A screenshot of the elance error is given above and below.

elance-processing-request-error

I thought maybe this was happening because I was already logged in to ODesk.com, so I tried by not signing in to ODesk before logging in to Elance.

So I posted the question on Elance user group at LinkedIn. I got an instant reply in my LinkedIn inbox, it was sent by a person named Rich.

The solution to fix Elance login problem

Hi Naeem,

We're still working on some issues related the denial of service attack earlier this week. If you clear your cache and try again, it should work. If not please contact our customer support team at
http://help.elance.com/anonymous_requests/newas we don't provide customer support via the LinkedIn group

They've taken down my discussion afterwards, but that's not a problem since the issue I was facing with ELance logon is resolved for good.

I got a paid Elance membership and I pay them a $10 monthly for a individual membership and the down time did not sound very good. It made me think again if I really need the monthly subscription, and I feel like this down time has strengthened the decision that I should move back to a free membership as I am not pulling a whole lot of work through Elance any way.
I did the same thing, and it worked! Now I can log in to both ODesk and Elance on the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment